The autocommit settings on leaders and replicas
can be slightly offset in terms of wall clock time so
docs that have been committed on one node may
not have been committed on the other. Your comment
that you can optimize and fix this is evidence that this
is what you're seeing.

to test this:
1> stop indexing
2> issue a "commit" to the collection.

If that shows all replicas with the same count, then
the above is the explanation.

Best,
Erick