Hello,

I am trying to experiment with my solr indexes with the patch open on
Apache JIRA - Codec for index-level encryption
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-6966> (LUCENE-6966).
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-6966. I am currently trying to
test this Custom codec with Solr to encrypt sensitive documents.

I have managed to apply this patch to Lucene-solr trunk (branch 6.3) and
used “ant compile” and “ant jar” to get the jar files.

As According to solr wiki, custom posting format can be plugged per field
using SchemaCodecFactory.

Here are some sample fields defined in my managedschema.xml

<field name="description" type="text_general" indexed="true” stored="true"/>

<field name="manufacturer" type="strings" indexed="true” stored="true"/>

In order to use encryptedLucene50 posting format I have overridden posting
format in field type definations.

<fieldType name="string" class="solr.StrField" sortMissingLast="true"
docValues="true" *postingsFormat= "EncryptedLucene50"* />

<fieldType name="text_general" class="solr.TextField"
multiValued="true" *postingsFormat=
"EncryptedLucene50"*/>

This all is working fine as desired because after indexing I get encrypted
version of term dictionary and term indexes, but I would also like to
encrypt the stored fields.

I see this codec implementation is encrypting stored fields using Lucene
default CompressingStoredFieldformat. and as mentioned in small
documentation on this patch recently

*“If the stored fields must be encrypted, the user has to specify with the
method **‘storedFieldFormat()’ an instance of the
EncryptedLucene50StoredFieldsFormat. This class is an abstract class
itself, and user can specify which field to encrypt by overriding the
method ‘isFieldEncrypted(String field) ”.*

The DummyEncryptedLucene60Codec class provided with this patch already
override the default stored field format with Encrypted version. However, I
am unable to make use of this function with Solr. After indexing with solr
stored fields are not encrypted in my index.

My question is, what might be I am doing wrong here or am I missing any
other thing so this function can also be picked and used with Solr?

 I will appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks.

Mohit