:     > We currently support requests to CREATEALIAS to collections that don’t
:     > exist. Requests to this alias later result in 404s. If the target
:     > collection is later created, requests to the alias will begin to work.
I’m
:     > wondering if someone is relying on this behavior, or if we should
validate
:     > the existence of the target collections when creating the alias (and
thus,
:     > fail fast in cases of typos or unexpected cluster state)

+1 ... failing fast on ALIAS creation by default seems like the best
default behavior, we could always support a new
"allowNonExistentCollecions=true" param (defaulting to 'false') for
backcompat or advanced users who want to "pre-create" aliases before hte
collections.

: I’d prefer it if the alias was required to be removed, or pointed
: elsewhere, before the collection could be deleted.

also +1 ...

Having action=DELETE fail on a collection if it's part of any aliases
seems like much better (default) behavior then having it proactively
delete all aliases the collection is part of.

And similar to above, a (new) advanced "removeAnyAliases=true" param
(defaulting to false) could be support the more aggressive deletion if
folks thik it's an important value add for users.

In general I agree with the overall premise that safety values
during collection delete (based on pre-existing aliases) should go part
and parcel with any safety values we add on alias creation.

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/