See replies inline:

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 3:36 PM, GW <thegeofo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> I understand accessing solr directly. I'm doing REST calls to a single
> machine.
>
> If I have a cluster of five servers and say three Apache servers, I can
> round robin the REST calls to all five in the cluster?

I don't know about php, but it would be better to have "persistent
connections" or something to the solr servers. In python for example this
is done automatically. It would be better if each php-server has a
different order of an array of [list of solr ips]. This way each box will
contact a ~different solr instance, and will have better chance of not
creating too may new connections (since the connection cache is per-url/ip).

> I guess I'm going to find out. :-)  If so I might be better off just
> running Apache on all my solr instances.

I've done that before (though with es, but it's ~same). And just contacting
the localhost solr. The problem with that, is that if the solr on the
current host fails, your php won't work. So best in this scenario is to
have an array of hosts, but the first being the local solr.