Yes, and we're doing such things at my company. However we most often do
things you shouldn't do; this is one of these.

Solr needs to load data quite fast, otherwise you'll be having a
performance killer. It's often recommended to use an SSD instead of a
normal hard disk; a network share would be quite contrary to it.

It might make sense when you update very seldom, and all your index fits
into memory.

-Michael