Sorry, not what I meant.

Leader is responsible for distributing update requests to replica. So
eventually all replicas have same state as leader. Not a problem.

It is more about the performance of such. If I gather correctly normal
replication happens by standard update request. Not by, say, segment copy.

Which means update on leader is as "expensive" as on replica.

Hence, if my understanding is correct, sending search request to replica
only, in index heavy environment, would bring no benefit.

So the question is: is there a mechanism, in SolrCloud (not legacy
master/slave set-up) to make one node take a load of indexing which
other nodes focus on searching.

This is not a question of SolrClient cause that is clear how to direct
search request to specific nodes. This is more about index optimization
so that certain nodes (ie. replicas) could suffer less due to high
volume indexing while serving search requests.