Walter -

Apologies for not trying this sooner first-hand.   I’m used to passing in all
the params (even the dynamic ${…} ones) in the request these days, not so much
putting them into request handler definitions.

I finally tried it with a default (master/trunk) with modifying the /browse
handler with this:

  <requestHandler name="/browse" class="solr.SearchHandler"
useParams="query,facets,velocity,browse">
    <lst name="defaults">
      <str name="echoParams">explicit</str>
      <str name="sort">${sort_field} desc</str>
    </lst>
  </requestHandler>

And get this startup error:

Caused by: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: No system property or default
value specified for sort_field value:${sort_field} desc
        at
org.apache.solr.util.PropertiesUtil.substituteProperty(PropertiesUtil.java:65)
        at org.apache.solr.util.DOMUtil.substituteProperties(DOMUtil.java:303)

*sigh* and sorry for leading you astray.   Definitely a Solr bug.

However, this technique does work when everything is in the params:

    /select?q=*:*&sort=${sort_field}%20desc&sort_field=id

@Yonik or others - is this a known/filed issue?    Workarounds or escaping that
could make it work?

        Erik