On Tue, 2017-03-14 at 16:47 +0200, Mahmoud Almokadem wrote:
> After sorting with Self Time(CPU) I got that the
> FSDirectory$FSIndexOutput$1.write() is taking much of CPU time, so
> the bottleneck now is the IO of the hard drive?
>
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwLcshoSCVcdb2I4U1RBNnI0OVU

I am not too sure how IO counts in VisualVM sampling mode. It is
supposed to only measure CPU work. But I have had trouble with it in
the past and since your screenshot shows a lot of time spend on fsync
(which should take practically 0 Java CPU time), it seems that it is
indeed IO-time.

You can get a detailed breakdown by doing VisualVM profiling and doing
a snapshot instead of sampling, but be prepared to restart your Solr
afterwards as that is quite intrusive.

Another (and simpler) option would be to check how much IO-wait there
is with 'top' from a shell.

- Toke Eskildsen, Royal Danish Library