> On Apr 4, 2017, at 7:38 PM, Muhammad Imad Qureshi
> <imadgr...@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Hi
> I was recently told that ideally the number of shards in a SOLR cluster
> should be equal to a power of 2. If this is indeed a best practice, then what
> is the rationale behind this recommendation? ThanksImad

I don’t know of any such recommendation. Assuming you are not RAM or disk
limited, going to two or three shards won’t help a lot. If those get you out of
a bottleneck, you’ll see a difference.

I believe that some of the performance of Solr is proportional to the number of
distinct terms in the index (the vocabulary). A rule of thumb is the vocabulary
is proportional to the square root of the number of terms in the index. Which
is often related to the number of documents. With this assumption, four shards
gives a 2X speedup. Which has worked for me.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wun...@wunderwood.org