Hi Maria,
If you have 100-500.000 unique values for the field you are interested in,
and the cardinality of your search results is actually quite small in
comparison, I am not that sure term enum will help you that much ...

To simplify, with the term enum approach, you iterate over each unique
value, if it matches the prefix and then you count the intersection of the
result set with the posting list for that term.
In your case, your result set is likely to be much smaller than the number
of unique values.
I would assume you are using the fc approach, which in my opinion was not a
bad idea.
Let's start from the algorithm you are using and the schema config for your
field,

Cheers

-----