Hi Chris,

I think you are leading me to  the right direction.

I'm not sure how that would have worked in Solr 4.5, ... unless
> perhaps your definition of a "date" field was different in the schema's
> you used in 4.5, and did not involve a Trie based date field  (the very
> old legacy date format ields used a simple String based encoding that
> might have worked)

You are right. In Solr 4.5 we had:

<field name="valid_date" type="pdate" indexed="true" stored="false" />
<fieldType name="pdate" class="solr.DateField" sortMissingLast="true"
omitNorms="true"/>

I will need some time to digest all information you provided. I will let
you know.

Thank you very much.

Victor