Sweta -

There’s been an enormous number of changes between 6.1 and 6.5.1.  See CHANGES:

https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/master/solr/CHANGES.txt#L439-L1796
<https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/master/solr/CHANGES.txt#L439-L1796>

wow, huh?

And yes, there have been dramatic improvements (Solr 6.5+) in multi-word
synonym handling, see Steve’s blog here for details:

https://lucidworks.com/2017/04/18/multi-word-synonyms-solr-adds-query-time-support/

<https://lucidworks.com/2017/04/18/multi-word-synonyms-solr-adds-query-time-support/>

As for your other questions, not quite sure exactly what you mean on those.
What features/improvements are you looking for specifically here?

        Erik