That page was last edited in 2014, things have moved on a little since then!
Solr doesn't produce a WAR file by default anymore, as running in a generic
servlet container isn't a supported configuration.  What is produced from
ant dist is effectively the exploded form of the WAR. You can still create
the war using ant dist-war, but that wiki page needs an overhaul!

If you want to play with Solr first, I think the better alternative is to
download the binary distribution, that has a number of examples that just
work out of the box.  Get used to what is in that distribution and explore
how that is laid out before you start to play with the code (just my
tuppence worth).