The entire point of a Zookeeper cluster is that it continues to be available
when one (or more) nodes are down.

If you want more failure tolerance, run a five node Zookeeper cluster instead
of a three node cluster.

Hacking the client will not increase robustness. Right now, you are hurting
robustness by being too clever with the client.

Hacking the client is not a last choice, it is a bad choice.

For queries, there is not much benefit in running the cloud-aware client. A
regular load balancer works just about as well. We use the Amazon load
balancers.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wun...@wunderwood.org