I'm trying to produce a search that would optionally join the contents of 2
documents then allow a keyword search on them as if it were a single doc.

For example I'd have Person index and a Note index.  I want to search the
person document combined with the notes for keywords A AND B AND C.  A and
B are in the Person Document but C is in at Person's Notes.

What is the best way to accomplish this and still preserve searching on
just Person or Note individually?

I tried a join but it seems to keyword search only the Person document and
then filters those down by those with Notes.
Simplified query:
q={!join+from=person_note_id+to=id}A+B+C&fq=type:Person
<http://localhost:8983/solr/select?q=%7B!join+from=manu_id_s+to=id%7Dipod>

The only other option I can see is to index all of the Notes contents on
the Person record. But this seems like a lot when I also have the
requirement to have them in their own separate index to search on their own.

Thank you for any help!