Thanks, sorry I missed the issue in JIRA.

I think the second issue still stands and is unrelated - it's only related in the sense that it affects the same file.

2) only on SLES 12.2 (and Leap 42.2) and possibly future versions:

related to the following change:
https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/12-SP2/#fate-320973

On a fresh install, the command "service solr start" will result in the
message: solr is neither service nor target!?

adding "systemctl daemon-reload" before starting the service fixes this
issue, however, I'm not sure if this is the right approach.