Thank you, Susheel, for the quick response.

So, that means that when I create a new collection, it shards will be newly
created at each node, right?
Thus, if I have two collections with
numShards=38,
maxShardsPerNode=2 and
replicationFactor=2
on my 38 nodes, then this would result in each node "hosting" 4 shards (two
from each collection).

If this is correct, I have two follow up questions:

1) As regards naming of the shards: Is using the same naming for the shards
o.k. in this constellation? I.e. does it create trouble to have e.g.
"Shard001", "Shard002", etc. in collection1 and "Shard001", "Shard002", etc. as
well in collection2?

2) Performance: In my current single collection setup, I have 2 shards per
node. After creating the second collection, there will be 4 shards per node. Do
I have to edit the RAM per node value (raise the -m parameter when starting the
node)? In my case, I am quite sure that the collections will never be queried
simultaneously. So will the "running but idle" collection slow me down?

Johannes