Hi Bernd,
I did not look at the code, but I would guess never. Solr tends to keep file
handle for each file that it uses and it keeps last N transaction logs.
Transaction log file is flushed and new one is created when you issue hard
commit - with or without open searcher. At that moment it will delete the
oldest one, but the number of tlogs will remain the same.

Hope that someone more into transaction logs will jump in and correct me if I
am wrong.

HTH,
Emir