I find the Lucene segments in the backend is not merging and the segment
count increases to a lot. I changed the merge policy from
LogByteSizeMergePolicy to TieredMergePolicy

I tried altering properties according to the solr documentation but still,
my segments are high.

I am using solr 6.1.X. **The index data is stored in  HDFS.**

My index config of solrconfig.xml

<indexConfig>
    <writeLockTimeout>1000</writeLockTimeout>
    <commitLockTimeout>10000</commitLockTimeout>
    <maxIndexingThreads>15</maxIndexingThreads>
    <useCompoundFile>false</useCompoundFile>
    <ramBufferSizeMB>1024</ramBufferSizeMB>
    <mergePolicy class="org.apache.lucene.index.TieredMergePolicy">
          <int name="maxMergeAtOnce">10</int>
          <int name="segmentsPerTier">1</int>
    </mergePolicy>
    <mergePolicyFactory
class="org.apache.solr.index.TieredMergePolicyFactory">
          <int name="maxMergeAtOnce">10</int>
          <int name="segmentsPerTier">10</int>
    </mergePolicyFactory>
    <lockType>hdfs</lockType>
    <deletionPolicy class="solr.SolrDeletionPolicy">
        <str name="maxCommitsToKeep">1</str>
        <str name="maxOptimizedCommitsToKeep">0</str>
    </deletionPolicy>
</indexConfig>

The only way we optimize is by force merging which is IO costly and also
takes hours to complete.
I have a cluster of three shards and replication factor as 2.

Can anyone help me where I am going wrong