Nawab:

bq: Cache hit ratios are all in 80+% (even when i decreased the
filterCache to 128)

This suggests that you use a relatively small handful of fq clauses,
which is perfectly fine. Having 450M docs and a cache size of 1024 is
_really_ scary! You had a potential for a 57G (yes, gigabyte)
filterCache. Fortunately you apparently don't use enough different fq
clauses to fill it up, or they match very few documents. I cheated a
little, if the result set is small the individual doc IDs are stored
rather than a bitset 450M bits wide.... Your
admin>>core>>plugins/stats>>filterCache should show you how many
evictions there are which is another interesting stat.

As it is, you're filterCache might use up 7G or so. Hefty but you have
lots of RAM.

*************
bq:  Document cache hitratio is really bad,

This is often the case. Getting documents really means, here, getting
the _stored_ values. The point of the documentCache is to keep entries
in a cache for the various elements of a single request to use. To
name just 2
> you get the stored values for the "fl" list
> you highlight.

These are separate, and each accesses the stored values. Problem is,
"accessing the stored values" means
1> reading the document from disk
2> decompressing a 16K block minimum.

I'm skipping the fact that returning docValues doesn't need the stored
data, but you get the idea.

Anyway, not having to read/decompress for both the"fl" list and
highlighting is what the documentCache is about. That's where the
recommendation "size it as (max # of users) * (max rows)"
recommendation comes in (if you can afford the memory certainly).

Some users have situations where the documentCache hit ratio is much
better, but I'd be surprised if any core with 450M docs even got
close.

*************
bq: That supported the hypothesis that the query throughput decreases
after opening a new searcher and **not** after committing the index

Are you saying that you have something of a sawtooth pattern? I.e.
queries are slow "for a while" after opening a new searcher but then
improve until the next commit? This is usually an autowarm problem, so
you might address it with a more precise autowarm. Look particularly
for anything that sorts/groups/facets. Any such fields should have
docValues=true set. Unfortunately this will require a complete
re-index. Don't be frightened by the fact that enabling docValues will
cause your index size on disk to grow. Paradoxically that will
actually _lower_ the size of the JVM heap requirements. Essentially
the additional size on disk is the serialized structure that would
have to be built in the JVM. Since it is pre-built at index time, it
can be MMapped and use OS memory space and not JVM.

450M docs and 800G index size is quite large and a prime candidate for
sharding FWIW.

Best,
Erick