>From what I have read, you can only upgrade to the next major version number
>without using a tool to convert the indexes to the newer version. But that is
>still perilous due to deprications etc

So I think best advice out there is to spin up a new farm on 7.1 (especially
from 4.x), make a new collection there, reindex everything into it and then
switch over to the new farm. I would also ask the question are you thinking to
go to master/slave on 7.1? Wouldn't you want to go with solr cloud?

I started with master/slave and yes it is simpler but there is that one single
point of failure (the master) for indexing, which is of course easily manually
overcome by purposing a slave as the new master and repointing the remaining
slaves at the new master however this is a completely manual process you try to
avoid in cloud mode.

I think you'd need to think this through more fully with the new possibilities
available and how you'd want to migrate given your existing environment is so
far behind.

Thanks

Robi