There's pretty much zero chance that it'll go away, too much current
and ongoing functionality that depends on it.

1> old-style replication has always been used for "full sync" in
SolrCloud when peer sync can't be done.

2> The new TLOG and PULL replica types are a marriage of old-style
master/slave and SolrCloud. In particular a PULL replica is
essentially an old-style slave. A TLOG replica is an old-style slave
that also maintains a transaction log so it can take over leadership
if necessary.

Best,
Erick