On 1/24/2018 4:17 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
I ask because even if you are using the ClassicIndexSchemaFactory, your
update processor chain might be using TrimFieldUpdateProcessorFactory
and/or RemoveBlankFieldUpdateProcessorFactory ?

When i use the sample techproducts configs in 7.1, I have no problem
adding either an empty string or a bank space to a string field...

I ran into the same thing.  With the default example, versions from 5.0 to 7.2 exhibit the "delete empty string fields" behavior, but when I tried sample_techproducts_configs, 7.2 behaved just like 4.10.  I located an issue:

I agree that there is likely an update processor chain active in solrconfig.xml that is deleting the field.

Thanks,
Shawn