I guess I'd say test with the image - especially if you're deploying a
larger number of Solr boxes.  We do a lot of them where I work and
(unfortunately, for reasons I won't bother you with) can't use an image.
The time it takes to install solr is noticeable when we deploy Solr on our
100 plus EC2 instances.

Of course, if you need to customize Solr or the Solr Server in any way, you
can make your own by hand and then build an image from that for use as a
base.