On 2/6/2018 8:23 PM, John Davis wrote:
We ran out of disk on our solr instance. However even after cleaning up the
disk solr server did not realize that there is free disk available. It only
got fixed after a restart.

If the files you deleted to free space were Solr indexes, then they were still held open by Solr.

Most operating systems other than Windows will let you delete files that are open, but the space for those files is not actually freed until they are closed, which may not happen until the program stops. Restarting Solr would close those files, allowing the OS to free the space.

https://superuser.com/questions/738690/deleting-files-but-disk-space-is-still-full

Windows will refuse to let you delete files if they are open.

General disk requirement for any Lucene-based software (which includes Solr): Make sure you have enough space available for your indexes to triple in size temporarily. In most cases, the possible size increase will only be double, but there is a specific scenario that can lead to the index reaching triple size, so we always recommend triple.

Thanks,
Shawn