All,

I have (say 1M, in real time it would be more even) solr documents which has
lot of fields and it's bit huge. We have a functionality, where we need to
go and update a specific field or add new field in to that document. Since
we have to do this for all 1M documents, it's taking up more time and it's
not acceptable.

So we thought of using "In Place Updates".

As per documentation, we have made sure it's following this criteria
-------------------------------
*An atomic update operation is performed using this approach only when the
fields to be updated meet these three conditions:

are non-indexed (indexed="false"), non-stored (stored="false"), single
valued (multiValued="false") numeric docValues (docValues="true") fields;

the _version_ field is also a non-indexed, non-stored single valued
docValues field; and,

copy targets of updated fields, if any, are also non-indexed, non-stored
single valued numeric docValues fields.*
-------------------------------
To check whether it's working as expected,
* First we tried to update a normal field and it took around 1.5 Hours to
update all 1M docs, as the complete documents is getting re-indexed.

* We also tried to update the docvalue field and it also took around 1.5
hours to complete for 1M docs.

As in the second case, we are updating docvalue field type, and as it won't
re-index the complete document, isn't that should take lesser time ?

What could be going wrong ? I am using Sorl 6.5.1. Is this a bug or expected
behavior ?

Regards,