Lee,
It's worth to send a stacktrace for such kind of inquiries.
I guess it goes from QueryComponent.mergeIds() or so. Shard response should
contains <uniqueKey> from schema.xml field.
I encounter something like this while troubleshooting
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/transforming-result-documents.html#TransformingResultDocuments-CoresandCollectionsinSolrCloud

--
Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev