On 4/24/2018 8:50 AM, Steven White wrote:
We currently support both Oracle and IBM Java to run Solr and I'm task to
switch over to OpenJDK.

Oracle Java is the preferred choice.  OpenJDK should be work very well, as long as it's at least version 7.  Recent Solr versions require Java 8, so that should be no problem.

OpenJDK versions before 7, and IBM's Java, are not recommended.  OpenJDK 6 has known bugs, and IBM's Java enables so many performance enhancement optimizations in the language that parts of Lucene misbehave when running in IBM Java.

Does anyone use Solr, any version, with OpenJDK?  If so, what has been you
experience?  Also, what platforms have you used it on?

I've used it on Linux.  It worked without issues.

I run Solr on Windows, Linux, AIX and Solaris and on each of those
platforms, I need to support both 32 and 64 bit Java.

Another strong recommendation:  Don't use 32-bit Java. There's nothing technically wrong with it, but it artificially limits the size of the heap to 2GB.  It doesn't take super-big indexes to require more heap memory than that.

As mentioned early on, Oracle Java is what we prefer.  OpenJDK is the reference implementation for the language starting with version 7, though -- so we can be pretty sure that you're not missing anything by using OpenJDK.

Thanks,
Shawn