We have a similar sized cluster, 32 nodes with 36 processors and 60 Gb RAM each
(EC2 C4.8xlarge). The collection is 24 million documents with four shards. The
cluster
is Solr 6.6.2. All storage is SSD EBS.

We built a simple batch loader in Java. We get about one million documents per
minute
with 64 threads. We do not use the cloud-smart SolrJ client. We just send all
the
batches to the load balancer and let Solr sort it out.

You are looking for 3 million documents per minute. You will just have to test
that.

I haven’t tested it, but indexing should speed up linearly with the number of
shards,
because those are indexing in parallel.

wunder
Walter Underwood