I have temporarily solved the problem by hardcoding the folders in the
<dataDir> element like so:

<dataDir>C:\tomcatweb\merchant\data</dataDir> (in the solrconfig.xml)

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

Is it solr home or or the data directory that is getting set wrong?

I *think* the difference is that with 1.2, you could not use properties to set the dataDir, it was hardcoded to "/data/" relative to your solr home.

In 1.3, the example comes with a default property ${data.dir:./data} (or something like that

If you remove the <dataDir> element altogether, it should go back to 1.2 behavior...

ryan