Shawn,

On 5/17/18 4:23 AM, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> On 5/17/2018 1:53 AM, Anchal Sharma2 wrote:
>> We are using solr version 5.3.0 and  have been  trying to enable
>> security on our solr .We followed steps mentioned on site
>> -https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/enabling-ssl.html .But
>> by default it picks ,TLS version  1.0,which is causing an issue
>> as our application uses TLSv 1.2.We tried using online resources
>> ,but could not find anything regarding TLS enablement for solr .
>>
>> It will be a huge help if anyone can provide some suggestions as
>> to how we can enable TLS v 1.2 for solr.
>
> The choice of ciphers and encryption protocols is mostly made by
> Java. The servlet container might influence it as well. The only
> servlet container that is supported since Solr 5.0 is the Jetty
> that is bundled in the Solr download.
>
> TLS 1.2 was added in Java 7, and it became default in Java 8. If
> you can install the latest version of Java 8 and make sure that it
> has the policy files for unlimited crypto strength installed,
> support for TLS 1.2 might happen automatically.

There is no "default" TLS version for either the client or the server:
the two endpoints always negotiate the highest mutual version they
both support. The key agreement, authentication, and cipher suites are
the items that are negotiated during the handshake.

> Solr 5.3.0 is running a fairly old version of Jetty -- 9.2.11.
> Information for 9.2.x versions is hard to find, so although I think
> it probably CAN do TLS 1.2 if the Java version supports it, I can't
> be absolutely sure.  You'll need to upgrade Solr to get an upgraded
> Jetty.

I would be shocked if Jetty ships with its own crypto libraries; it
should be using JSSE.

Anchal,

Java 1.7 or later is an absolute requirement if you want to use
TLSv1.2 (and you SHOULD want to use it).

I have recently spent a lot of time getting Solr 7.3.0 running with
TLS mutual-authentication, but I haven't worked with the 5.3.x line. I
can tell you have I've done things for my version, but they may need
some adjustments for yours.

- -chris