On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 7:06 PM, Geoff Hopson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Probably a stupid question with the obvious answer, but if I am
> running a Solr master and accepting updates, do I have to stop the
> updates when I start the optimise of the index? Or will optimise just
> take the latest snapshot and work on that independently of the
> incoming updates?

Usually an optimize is performed at the end of the indexing operation.
However, an optimize operation will block incoming update requests until it
completes.

Snapshots are a different story. Solr does not even know about any snapshots
-- all operations are performed on the main index only. If you look under
the hoods, it is the snapshooter shell script which creates the snapshot
directories.

--
Regards,
Shalin Shekhar Mangar.