On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 7:55 PM, Kelly, Frank <frank.ke...@here.com> wrote:

> Using Solr 5.3.1 - index
>
> We have an indexing heavy workload (we do more indexing than searching)
> and for those searches we do perform we have very few cache hits (25% of
> our index is in memory and the hit rate is < 0.1%)
>
> We are currently using r3.xlarge (memory optimized instances as we
> originally thought we’d have a higher cache hit rate) with EBS optimization
> to IOPs configurable EBS drives.
> Our EBS traffic bandwidth seems to work great so searches on disk are
> pretty fast.
> Now though we seem CPU bound and if/ when Solr CPU gets pegged for too
> long replication falls behind and then starts to recover which causes more
> usage and then eventually shards go “Down”.
>
> Cpu Bound - What does your hardware configuration look like?

"Down" - What does exactly happen? Can you please give a bit more about
this?

> Our key question: Scale up (fewer instances to manage) or Scale out (more
> instances to manage) and
> do we switch to compute optimized instances (the answer given our usage I
> assume is probably)

Is the load scaling linearly (25%,50%,75,100% CPU) on your current machine?
If it is, then scale-up would be a good choice. However, if it is not, I
would go for scale-out

> Appreciate any thoughts folks have on this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Frank

Deepak
"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are
treated. Please stop cruelty to Animals, become a Vegan"

+91 73500 12833
deic...@gmail.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/deicool
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/deicool