Hmmm. That doesn't actually return  anything which is odd because I know
it's in the field if I do a query without specifying the field.

http://qasearch.donorschoose.org/select/?q=synopsis:students

returns nothing

http://qasearch.donorschoose.org/select/?q=students

returns items with query in synopsis field.

This may be causing issues but I'm not sure why it's not working. We use
this live and do very complex queries including facets that work fine.

www.donorschoose.org