Hi,

What I did in SOLR-11982 was meant to be used with replica types. The idea is that you could have a set of NRT replicas used for indexing and a set of PULL replicas used for queries. That's the easiest way to split the work since PULL replicas never do indexing work, and then you can say in the queries that "shards.preference=replica.type:PULL" or have that as a default parameter in solrconfig. SOLR-8146 is not needed for this. I suppose now that SOLR-11982 is done, SOLR-8146 would only be needed to make it easier to set the preferred replica type etc.

SOLR-11982 also allows you to use replica location in node preference. The nodes to use could be deduced from the cluster state and then you could use shards.preference with replica.location. But that means the client has to know which replicas to prefer.

Regards,
Ere