This simply should _not_ be happening due to Solr/Lucene "doing
something". Some possibilities:
- some other process is deleting them
- somehow you have more than one Solr core pointing at the same data
directory. To do this you'd have had to do something like use
NoLockPolicy, so this is unlikely.
- you have errors you're not noticing like "disk full", which leads to
incomplete directories. This also sounds unlikely since you load from
backups so it sounds like an unchanging index. Since the segments are
read-only they shouldn't disappear due to disk full errors.

I've never heard of Solr/Lucene mysteriously deleting index files, so
I suspect something outside of Solr is doing this.

Best,
Erick