On 6/22/2018 8:12 AM, Shawn Heisey wrote:
I wonder if having an invalid handler contributed to the speed.

Further thought about this:

I can't say whether having an invalid handler name would cause speed problems, but based on my limited understanding of the code involved, I don't think it would.

I'm guessing that with a shards.qt value that doesn't start with a slash, that the request gets sent to /select, with a qt parameter set to the value.  Solr would most likely ignore any qt value, because the handleSelect setting on requestDispatcher in solrconfig.xml has defaulted to false for many versions.

Another possibility is that the OS had cached the information in a different replica for the full distributed query, and this made that query fast, but when the query directed to a specific shard replica was made, that data wasn't cached, and so Solr had to read the disk to satisfy the query, which is going to REALLY slow it down.  I would imagine that if you repeated the single-shard query multiple times, especially using the different URL that I gave you, the speed discrepancy might disappear.

Thanks,
Shawn