1> Well, a day is just 86,400 seconds. But that's just how
     often the thread wakes up and looks for docs to delete
2> Maybe. If you already have a field that has the date you
     want to use to expire the document, then no. Otherwise
     you must re-index
3> no. How could it if there's no date to expire by in the doc?

Best,
Erick