If you are having an issue when increasing the search request rate you should
have a look at maxConnectionsPerHost, I believe maxUpdateConnectionsPerHost
is related to indexing.
You can modify your solr.xml as follows (I believe it's not clear from the
official documentation, I had to go through the code to find out about
maxConnectionsPerHost )

<shardHandlerFactory class="HttpShardHandlerFactory"
name="shardHandlerFactory">
    <int name="connTimeout">15000</int>
    <int name="socketTimeout">120000</int>
    <int name="maxConnectionsPerHost">500</int>
  </shardHandlerFactory>

Another thing I'd check is if you have GC pauses, it might affect your
performance.