Hi Roy, I think you miss the autoGeneratePhraseQueries=true in the field type definition. I was on a slightly different use case when I met your same issue (I was using synonyms expansion at query time) and honestly I didn't understand why this is not the default and implicit behavior. In other words, like you, I can't imagine a scenario where I would a multi-terms synonym be destructured in multiple OR clauses.

Best,
Andrea