Has this ever worked? IOW, is this something that's changed or has
just never worked?

The obvious first step is to start Solr with more than 1G of memory.
Solr _likes_ memory and a 1G heap is quite small. But you say:
"Increasing the heap size further doesnt start SOLR instance itself.".
How much RAM do you have on your machine? What other programs are
running? You should be able to increase the heap and start Solr if you
have the RAM on your machine so I'd figure out what's behind that
issue first. I regularly start Solr with 16 or 32G of memory on my
local machines, I know of installations running Solr with 60G heaps so
this points to something really odd about your environment.

When you "increase it further", exactly _how_ does Solr fail to start?
What appears in the Solr logs? etc. Really, troubleshoot that issue
first I'd recommend.

If DIH still needs a ridiculous amount of memory, it's usually the
JDBC driver trying to read all the rows into memory at once and you'll
have to explore the jdbc driver settings in detail.

Best,
Erick