Chuck,

The default Snitch is the one that’s used if you don’t specify one in a rule.
The sysprop.* tag is provided by the default Snitch.

The only thing that seems wrong to me in your rules is “replica:1”,
“replica:2”, and “replica:3” - these say that exactly one, two, and three
replicas of each shard, respectively, must be on each of the nodes that has the
respective sysprop value.

Since these rules will apply to all nodes that match the sysprop value, you
have to allow for the possibility that some nodes will have *zero* replicas of
a shard.  So you could specify “replica:<2”, which means that no node can host
more than one replica, but it's acceptable for a node to host zero replicas.

Did you set system property AWSAZ on each Solr node with an appropriate value?

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com