Noble,

Are you saying in the latest version of Solr that this would work with three
instances of Solr running on each server?

If so how?

Thanks again for your help.

On 9/26/18, 9:11 AM, "Noble Paul" <noble.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

    I'm not sure if it is pertinent to ask you to move to the latest Solr
    which has the policy based replica placement. Unfortunately, I don't
    have any other solution I can think of

    On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 11:46 PM Chuck Reynolds <creyno...@ancestry.com>
wrote:

    > Noble,
    >
    > So other than manually moving replicas of shard do you have a suggestion
of how one might accomplish the multiple availability zone with multiple

.https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lucene.apache.org_solr_guide_7-5F4_solrcloud-2Dautoscaling-2Dpolicy-2Dpreferences.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=kKqjBR9KKWaWpMhASkPbOg&r=J-2s3b-3-OTA0o6bGDhJXAQlB5Y3s4rOUxlh_78DJl0&m=yXVYNcm-dqN_lucLyuQI38EZfK4f8l4828Ty53e4plM&s=D1vfu3bOu_hOGAU2CIKPwqBTPkYiBeK1kOUoFnQZpKA&e=

<creyno...@ancestry.com> wrote:
    >     >
    >     > Shawn,
    >     >
    >     > Thanks for the info. We’ve been running this way for the past 4
years.
    >     >
    >     > We were running on very large hardware, 20 physical cores with 256
gigs of ram with 3 billion document and it was the only way we could take
advantage of the hardware.
    >     >
    >     > Running 1 Solr instance per server never gave us the throughput we
needed.
    >     >
    >     > So I somewhat disagree with your statement because our test proved
otherwise.
    >     >
    >     > Thanks for the info.
    >     >
    >     > Sent from my iPhone
    >     >
    >     > > On Sep 25, 2018, at 4:19 PM, Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
wrote:
    >     > >
    >     > >> On 9/25/2018 9:21 AM, Chuck Reynolds wrote:
    >     > >> Each server has three instances of Solr running on it so every
instance on the server has to be in the same replica set.
    >     > >
    >     > > You should be running exactly one Solr instance per server.  When
evaluating rules for replica placement, SolrCloud will treat each instance as
completely separate from all others, including others on the same machine.  It
will not know that those three instances are on the same machine.  One Solr
instance can handle MANY indexes.
    >     > >
    >     > > There is only ONE situation where it makes sense to run multiple
instances per machine, and in my strong opinion, even that situation should not
be handled with multiple instances. That situation is this:  When running one
instance would require a REALLY large heap.  Garbage collection pauses can
become extreme in that situation, so some people will run multiple instances
that each have a smaller heap, and divide their indexes between them. In my
opinion, when you have enough index data on an instance that it requires a huge
heap, instead of running two or more instances on one server, it's time to add
more servers.
    >     > >
    >     > > Thanks,
    >     > > Shawn