I know it’s not much help if you’re stuck with Solr 6.1 … but Solr 7.5 comes
with an alternative strategy for SPLITSHARD that doesn’t consume as much memory
and nearly doesn’t consume additional disk space on the leader. This strategy
can be turned on by “splitMethod=link” parameter.

—

Andrzej Białecki