Don't know if this directly affects what you're trying to do.  But I
have an 8GB server and when I run "solr status" I can see what % of the
automatic memory allocation is being used.  As it turned out, solr would
occasionally exceed that (and crashed).

I then began starting solr with the additional parameter: "-m 1g"  Now
the solr consumption is almost always 50% or less, and have had no
further problems.