Bah, I should have said when you create a collection. You get the
following if you create your collection using the default schema:

WARNING: Using _default configset with data driven schema
functionality. NOT RECOMMENDED for production use.
         To turn off: bin/solr config -c eoe -p 8982 -action
set-user-property -property update.autoCreateFields -value false

But as Shawn says, if you have add-unknown-fields-to-the-schema
configured in your update processor chain in solrconfig.xml, you're
using schemaless mode.

Best,
Erick