Fernando:

I'd phrase it more strongly than Shawn. Prior to 7.0
all replicas both indexed and search (they were NRT replica),
so there wasn't any choice but to index and search on
every replica.

It's one of those things that if you have very high
throughput (indexing) situations, you _might_
want to use TLOG and/or PULL replicas.

But TANSTAAFL (There Ain't  No Such Thing As A Free Lunch).
TLOG/PULL replicas copy index segments around, which
may be up to 5G each (default TieredMergePolicy cap on individual
segment sizes), whereas NRT replicas just get the raw document.

So in the TLOG/PULL situations, you'll get bursts of network traffic
but each replica has less CPU load because all the replicas but one
for each shard do not  have to index the doc.

In the NRT case, the raw documents are forwarded so the
network is less bursty, but all of the replicas spend CPU
cycles indexing.

So I wouldn't worry about it unless you running into performance
problems, _then_ I'd investigate TLOG/PULL replicas.

Best,
Erick