I'm a little confused on what you're trying. Say your source field is
Y and your destination field X. Are you saying that you want your
destination field X to contain both the old value of field Y and the
new value of field Y when you atomically update that field Y?

Hmmmm, I'm actually not sure what happens in that case. The original
admonition was specifically because the above is usually undesirable
behavior. Imagine you have a source field name and destination field
name_d. The first time you add the doc it will have "erick" in both.
Now I atomically update field "something_else". Your doc will still
have "erick" in name, but (probably) "erick", "erick" in name_d.

What I'd probably do to deal with selectively preserving some
destinations of copyFields is use an updateprocessor, perhaps
ScriptUpdateProcessor to do the right thing an a per-field basis.

Best,
Erick