I think a better approach to tunneling would be:

ssh -p xxxx -L 8888:localhost:8983 use...@myremoteserver.example.com

This requires you to set up a different port (xxxx) rather than use the
standard 22 port (on your router and on your sshd config).  I've been
running something like this for about a year and have rarely if ever had
it attacked.  Prior to changing the port (to xxxx), however, I was under
constant hacking attacks - they find port 22 too attractive to ignore.

Also, regarding my use of port 8888: if you have the server running on
several local machines (as I do), the use of the 8888 port may help
prevent confusion (as to whether your browser is accessing a local -
defaulted to 8983 - or a remote solr server).

Note: you might find that the ssh connection will drop out after some
inactivity, and need to be restarted occasionally.  Pretty simple to do
- just run the ssh line above again.

Note: I also add authorization controls to the AdminUI (and its functions)