: I recently discovered that the copyFields directive exclusively works for
: copying fields from the input doc to the indexed/stored doc.

correct.  you have to explicitly list the mappings, it's not recursive (as
i recall this was done partially because it was easier, but also because
it ensures the schema creator must clearly thinks through exactly what
should be copied where -- otherwise you might have an existing mappings
of x->z and y->z that you don't consider/remember when adding a->x (or
worse: a->x and a->y)

: where I also have to decide wether to analyze all input on "b" with the
: trimmedString or the grandVoodoo analyzer..

this part of yourquestion doesn't make sense to me ... independent of
anything copyField does, the analysis is specific to the final field, a
value in b won't be analyzed any differently if it was originally
specified for b, or copied to b from a, or if copied from b to c.

-Hoss